Friday, August 12, 2011

Removing the Myth of Homeschooling







As all of my friends head back to school, I start to get a little bit of nostalgia and wonder whether or not my choice to resign at the end of last school year was the right one. Right now, I could be decorating my classroom, preparing my lists, and doing last minute items to help prepare to meet the crew. Even better, to prepare to handle the group I had last year and move them even more!

However, I am not doing that. Instead, I am stuck at home, with my own two children, being one of THOSE moms. You know them, one of those mom’s who are scared of what their kids might learn in public school (is my child going to be challenged, what will other students teach my kid, etc). One of those mom’s whose whole life revolves around the kitchen and crafts. (Looking around then whispering)… one of those mom’s who wears a jumper and dresses her children in matching clothes.

Ok, really, I am not nor will I ever be one of those moms. This blog is really about putting all of those homeschooling stereotypes to rest, and let the world look at what this “transition” mom is doing.

  1. I am NOT the traditional homeschool mom. My school is not based on religious beliefs and focused around prayer. Yes, we do this, but not during school! My school is not STANDARDS BASED and focused on a test at the end of the year. (Gasp, a teacher really said this?)
  2. I do NOT spend hours in the kitchen, wear a jumper or match my kiddos. I also do not focus on cleaning the house. During school, we focus on learning something new, all of us!
  3. I am NOT isolating my children or preventing them from experiencing what other kids experience.

Off the I am NOT stance, this is what we accomplish during the day:

  1. We learn time management. This is your schedule, you will have this finished or it will be homework. (Yes, even homeschoolers can have homework!)
  2. We learn, I CAN, and I WILL. I do not accept less than the best from my children (nor did I from my students) and send him back to correct it when it is not right.
  3. We blog, facebook, and plan events to share what we have learned. This puts the control in my kids hands, and makes them have control over their learning and who they share with.
  4. We set goals: Goals for what we want to learn, what we want to do, and who we want to become.

Ultimately, we focus on the skills he is ready to work on and needs to be successful in life. Life is full of questions and discoveries and we spend time fostering it.

1 comment:

Amanda and Joseph said...

I love this! I think it is absolutely perfectly said!