Saturday, August 6, 2011

How to Be the Perfect Wife

When I started to make the transition from professional, to stay at home mom, I realized quickly that I had a lot on my plate. Aside from prayers of a smaller house, maid, and personal assistant, I had to figure this little world we live in on my own.

Those of you who know me, know I am far from a house wife or house keeper. In fact, the idea of "keeping a house" is why I ran to work, and spent lots of time on work on the weekends.

My first lesson in house keeping was that it was never going to be perfect as long as you have helpers under the age of 65! For some reason, us young folks (me and the kids), make messes through out the day. I don't understand it. Roseanne was not a domestic goddess but her house was perfect, and don't get me started on Peg Bundy! But for some reason, when I clean up one mess, there is another waiting for me. House keeping is like a carrousel, it just keeps going around in circles.

My second lesson came from a friend, who told me my house could be "lived in" as long as I kept up my husband's pet peeves. Now, I love my husband, I like to think I know his likes and interests, but I have never noticed what peeved him off about the house, and well, since no one was at home during the day, none of these places go messy. So, as a good diligent wife, I tested the pet peeves. Quickly, I learned which areas must be clean, which must be neat, and which could be lived in!

Finally, I learned one last lesson! When you are having a day where nothing is going to get done. LEAVE THE HOUSE! IF you aren't there then the places that are important cannot get destroyed, and they will if you are not on top of your game.

Ultimately, having the house "kept" to your husband's standards is what is important, not the fixing his plate, waiting on him, and being his personal assistant when he gets home. When he comes in, a kiss and "Hi, honey, how was your day?" is good enough as you are chasing a naked toddler around the house, or trying to figure out why your preteen is taking 2 hours to feed chickens!

I have not perfected this by all stretch of the imagination, but with following the little pattern of clean one area a day, keep the most important areas (to the husband) clean, and then rotate the rest, life has become a little simpler with my husband. Now, to tackle the simple life with the kids! Buhahahahahahahaha!!!!! Oh, if you feel like you are going in circles you are and this is normal! Enjoy the carrosel ride.

No comments: